Manchester Counselling Training Centre affiliated
In order to develop the highest quality of training and care, we have collaborated with Manchester Counselling Training Centre and are funding another package of training opportunities, for volunteers to learn how to become effective ‘listeners’ for our community.
Accredited & approved training
This is a CPCAB accredited and BACP approved counselling module training delivered as a comprehensive course spanning 6 weeks.
Becoming a volunteer listener
At the Sanctuary we understand that the most fundamental need as a human is connection with others and that being witnessed is key to any healing process. We recognise that for many people finding the right space to do this can be very difficult. Often friends and family don’t really listen, and more importantly, might not receive the information with loving kindness and care. Fear of judgement and difficulties with trust can be a huge obstacle to connection and healing. We want to do all we can to provide safe, connective spaces for all our visitors and fill our Sanctuary space with trained, caring people who can be on hand to help.
You do not need any prior experience as a counsellor or therapist. We do not evaluate applicants on qualifications, although this role does require our volunteers to have the following qualities and traits. Applicants must be:
- Wanting to make a difference to the world
- Feel naturally drawn to helping others
- Have a compassionate and non-judgemental attitude towards everyone
- Be forgiving in nature
- Be willing to evaluate their own role and personal responsibility within all interactive dynamics
- Be willing to expand their own consciousness
- Be able to be part of a loving and supportive team of volunteers within the Sanctuary
- Have courage to hold space for people in distress and need
- Maintain high levels of confidentiality.
You will also be required to:
- Complete DBS process (please ensure you have the correct documentation)
- Purchase your own insurance policy approx. £60 (some funding or part funding is available for unemployed or low waged applicants)
- Commit to 50 hours voluntary work – attending 2 hours per week at the Sanctuary
- Commit to additional training and supervision sessions over the proceeding year following completion of the training
- Be committed to our extensive training programme and attend 95% of the content
- Be prepared to help out with additional support roles as required
- Be willing to adhere to the ethical framework of the BACP as set out in our volunteer policy handbook.
The training involves a 6-week (2-hour per week) course provided by Manchester College Training Centre in the CAPCB approved module in Effective Listening. Students receive a certificate on completion in effective listening and will have credits to attribute towards the diploma programme with MCTC as a personal option (self-funded).
Sessions will run each Saturday at the Monastery and will last for 6 weeks.
Approximately 2 hours of further online study each week will also be required to complete the course.
You will also be required to attend an additional safeguarding training session (2 hours), risk assessment training (2 hours) and a one day workshop on skills based interventions – all these dates are to be confirmed.
Get in touch
If you feel you have the right qualities and the time to commit to this amazing project, then please complete our application form. We will contact you in approximately two weeks time to arrange a telephone interview.
Please note: The next cohort will commence during 2024. Watch this space!