Heritage & wellbeing at Manchester Monastery
A visit to Manchester Monastery is a great day out and it can revitalise your wellbeing too.
Our famous architecture – designed to create an uplifting experience of light and sound – provides creative inspiration and a sense of connectedness proven to improve mental health and wellbeing.
Looking at, learning about, and taking part in heritage keeps us well, aids healing and bolsters a sense of richness and fulfilment in our lives.
Heritage can help us all to improve our wellbeing by:
- Bringing us together at all stages of our lives
- Building connectedness and a sense of belonging
- Supporting individual confidence and self-esteem
- Providing opportunities for us to be active.
The NHS recommends five steps to achieve better wellbeing : connect, be active, take notice (or be mindful), learn, and give back.
Here’s how Manchester Monastery can help you to achieve these five health-boosting goals.
- Connect – Meet friends and family here – it’s free entry. Take part in a wellbeing activity or join our friendly volunteer team.
- Be active – Walk the Gorton Heritage Trail designed to promote and conserve the heritage and wildlife of Gore Brook Valley Conservation Area.
- Take notice – Visit the Great Nave during The Silence. We can give you some tips on how to calm your mind. Or take time to look for a new detail in the carved stone here – inside and outside.
- Learn – Come on a tour and learn about this incredible building or visit our Monastery library and archive.
- Give back – Volunteer here. We’d love to make you part of our team.
Volunteering is a great way to connect with heritage, meet people and develop skills. We have a wonderful community of volunteers and a wide range of volunteering opportunities – so we could find something perfect for you.
Watch this quick video to see how volunteering has helped people in Manchester.
We want to improve health and wellbeing in Greater Manchester.
Our Listening Service provides free counselling and accredited counselling training. It’s part of our Healing Sanctuary, which offers a space for you to escape from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.
Manchester Monastery welcomes you to visit us and to find your steps to peace and wellness.
Find out more about health and wellbeing in these short videos.